I found this trunk in the garbage and managed to cram it into the back seat of my car to haul it home. My husband is great, but he is fed up with me sending him out in his van to pick up garbage which I have "discovered".
We pulled out so many nails and tacks I thought we would never be finished, but finally it was no longer a dangerous weapon, instead just an ugly old wooden box. I sanded it all over, stained the sides with Colonial Oak coloured stain and then did a lot of research to make sure I had the Union Jack right. I measured out the size of the top onto newspaper and drew out my Union Jack. It took a few times to get it right, but doing it on paper made it so much easier later.
I painted the entire top white with homemade chalk paint and when dry I placed my pattern on top and I traced it out. The newspaper print came off just enough so it left a mark to show me where I had to put my tape (I use Frog tape because although it costs quite a bit more, it doesn't bleed). I mixed some red and blue homemade chalk paint using the little bottles of acrylic craft paint from the dollar store and then painted away. When it was dry I distressed it a bit and then covered it with two coats of polyacrylic on the sides and three on the top. I added some Special Walnut colour stain and urethane all in one to the top and rubbed it off to age it. We also removed the small, old wheels which I thought might damage our soft pine floors and replaced them with locking rubber ones from Home Depot. I'm so pleased with the result, now we have a great coffee table with storage for my husbands record collection.
If you don't want to miss future posts, go to the right sidebar and subscribe by email or follow. Make my day and LIKE us on Facebook