Thursday 29 November 2012

Dollar Store Gift Boxes

Inspired by Debbiedoo's Dollar Tree Christmas Link Party I headed out to Dollarama (Toronto's equivalent to The Dollar Tree).  I found these great wooden boxes for $2 each and thought they would be perfect to wrap gifts in because they could be used over and over again.

 

The first one I wanted to be able to use again any time of the year so I stained the main box with Special Walnut, including the inside.  I then topcoated it with two coats of polyacrylic.  Don't worry if you get a bit of stain on the "ribbon" you can just use sandpaper to sand it off.



Next I painted the ribbon with an antique white, but in future I would skip this step as it wasn't necessary and who wants to make extra work for themselves?  I then used my finger to spread white glue on the "ribbon" and sprinkled epsom salt onto it.  I left it to dry overnight and now I have a elegant, sparkly gift box.  (total cost $2 for the box, everything else was left over from past projects).
 
For the next red and silver box I used some leftover homemade red chalk paint which I had used on my Union Jack Trunk to paint the box.  I topcoated the box inside and out with polyacrylic in satin finish.  Inexpensive silver paint from Dollarama dressed up the ribbon and when dry I used white glue and silver glitter again from Dollarama to create some drama.  ($2 for the box, $1 for the glitter, $1 for the silver paint = $4 total with supplies left over for future projects).

 
 
 



If you don't want to miss future posts, go to the right sidebar and subscribe by email or follow.  Make my day and Like us on Facebook


Sharing With:
 
 
 
 
TDC Before and After


Debbiedoo's 
shabby creek cottage
Crafty Confessions
BWS tips button




7 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Ohhh I just love this. I like the name Dollarama better too. Thanks for sharing with our party.

Shan said...

What cool boxes and you made them look great!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

So cute and I'm loving the price tag on these boxes!

:)

Linda

Mary said...

These are so pretty! Who wouldn't love receiving a gift in one of these boxes? Great idea.

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

They turned out so cute! I love that they're reusable.

Thanks so much for linking up,
<3 Christina

Serena said...

Very cute!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Pretty transformation!