Friday 2 November 2012

A Great Crate

Sometimes you just get lucky.  You're walking along killing time while your son's at swim practice and suddenly when it's not even garbage day, you see an old crate by the curb!  An old crate which is exactly what you have been looking for and have been to auctions trying to buy to no avail and there it is, plain as day, waiting for you to haul it back to your car.


free old crate


Now to make it look pretty. First I scrubbed it and used wood cleaner on it and then I lightly sanded it just to get rid of any rough spots.  Then I stained it with special walnut.  A couple of coats of polyacrylic satin finish and it was ready for it's new job of holding my husbands records.



refinished stain crate
 
 
Here is the Before and After together...I hope you like it as much as I do!
 
 
before and after crate

 

If you don't want to miss future posts, go to the right sidebar and subscribe by email or follow. Make my day and LIKE us on Facebook


Sharing With:
Funky Junk Interiors                        Crafty Scrappy Happy #22              I Gotta Create #38
The Rustic Pig                                 Common Ground # 126                   The Pin Junkie #3
French Country Cottage                  The Thrifty Groove                          A Little Knick Knack
Debbiedoo's                                      A Humble Creation #9                    Lamb Around
Nifty Thrifty Sunday #95                The Chicken Chick #21                   Alderberry Hill
The Dedicated House #36               An Original Belle #65                      A Pinch of Joy
Life On Lakeshore Drive #22         Homemaker On A Dime #98           Serendipity And Spice #211
If It's Not Baroque #6                      Elizabeth and Co                              Savvy Southern Style
Embracing Change                          Made In A Day                                The Shabby Creek Cottage


Featured At:

TheRusticPig              ThePinJunkie              

16 comments:

Courtney said...

I never find cool things on the side of the street where i live...how awesome!! You did a fantastic job with this, you wouldn't know it was the same crate:)

Unknown said...

Lucky lady! I love how your crate turned out!

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

Totally lucky! What a pretty crate - and I love the stain :)

Unknown said...

What a great transformation!

Unknown said...

what a find!- found you via pin junkie- following now

Unknown said...

Oh lucky day indeed! Saw that beauty over on A Little Knick Knack and had to swing by...following. UpcycledStuff.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a fabulous find!! I love the "after", pinning now :)

xo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

What a great score! You did a great job ;) I'm your newest follower.
Jamie ~ Better With Age

Megan Gunyan said...

I do love it as much as you do! I'm a big fan of dark stain. Great re-do!

Jessica @ A Humble Creation said...

Love it! You did a fabulous job! Wish I had your knack for finding such treasures on the side of the road. Thanks for sharing at A Humble Creation!

Anonymous said...

The stain turned out great on that crate. Brava! (I'm a sucker for crates, especially rustic looking ones. Found you through the "A Humble Creation" linky party.)

Unknown said...

Love the dark stain. And you really did get lucky, lady! :)

Marium said...

Ooh, you are lucky! I really like how rich the walnut tone ended up. Looks very high end! Looking forward to following your posts.
Marium

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Can't beat a good find just waiting for you. Glad you were able to snag it!
Liz @ Quirky Vistas

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Great find! Love it when something I've been searching for just falls into my path!!! You did a great job refurbishing your treasure. thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

Jessica @ A Humble Creation said...

Your project was featured at A Humble Creation this week! Thanks again for sharing!